Department of the History of the 17th and 18th Century Polish
ul. Ratuszowa 11
Head of the Department
- prof. dr hab. Włodzimierz Gruszczyński
- dr hab. Magdalena Majdak
- dr Dorota Adamiec
- dr Renata Bronikowska
- dr Wiesław Morawski
- dr Ewa Rodek
- dr Aleksandra Wieczorek
- mgr Katarzyna Kryńska
- mgr Paweł Kupiszewski
The history of the Department
The Department of the History of the Polish Language of the 17th and 18th Centuries was established in December 1954 as a unit of the Department of Linguistics of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, headed by professor Witold Doroszewski. From the very beginning, its main task was to compile the Dictionary of the Polish Language of the 17th and the 1st half of the 18th Centuries.
Professor Halina Koneczna became the head of the new historical-linguistic laboratory. After her death in 1961 the position was taken over by professor Stanisław Skorupka, co-editor of W. Doroszewski’s Dictionary of the Polish Language, a well-known lexicographer and phraseologist. From the beginning of the Laboratory’s existence, the deputy of both professors was Salomea Szlifersztejnowa, who organized the work of the team.
In 1969, Kazimierz Żelazko, PhD, became the head of the Laboratory, who with great commitment led the project until 1991, when Dr. Krystyna Siekierska, a long-time employee of the editorial staff of the emerging Dictionary, took over the leadership (after: Krystyna Siekierska, Teresa Sokołowska, Dictionary History up to 1999, https://sxvii.pl/archiwalne).
In 2004, professor Włodzimierz Gruszczyński became the head of the Laboratory. Since then, the dictionary has acquired an electronic form and is the first Polish historical dictionary to be created only in this version.
Main research areas
Multi-aspected research on the Polish language of 17th and 18th century, including: